Nestled on the top of Förberget Mountain, the Copperhill is the jewel in the crown above Åre Björnen. It opened in 2008, is the only mountain design hotel in Scandinavia, and has been named Sweden’s best ski hotel at the World Ski Awards three years in a row.
You’ll see why as soon as you step into the cavernous lobby. Natural materials, warm colours and modern style blend together to create a feeling of luxurious comfort. This theme continues into the 112 rooms, which are named after different metals - choose between a Bronze twin room or a Copper suite. Finishing touches like DVD players, games consoles and bathrobes add an extra layer of luxury to your stay.
Each morning, you’ll be spoilt for choice with a generous breakfast buffet that includes fresh bread, homemade jams and local meats. Superb evening meals are served in the Niesti restaurant, which offers a dishes inspired by ski resorts from around the world, like Aspen, France and Japan.
You could also treat yourself to an à la carte meal in The Library, a beautifully cosy restaurant with stunning mountain views and a Vaajese tasting menu that includes local favourites like reindeer, arctic char and cloudberries.
A visit to the Sami-inspired Level Spa is also a must. Take a dip in the infinity pool, soak in the hot tubs or soothe sore muscles in one of the saunas - there are two clothed saunas in the main spa plus one nude sauna in each changing room.
But possibly the best feature of the Copperhill is its location. It’s got its own drag lift and ski-in, ski-out access via a beautiful green run through the trees. The lift is pretty steep for a beginner though, so you can always utlise the free shuttle bus to get down to Åre Björnen and back. The bus doesn't run in the evenings though, so you can either catch a taxi down to town, or spend your time listening to live music and sipping cocktails next to the huge stone fireplace in the Fireside lounge in the lobby.
Please note: When booking in resort, cash payments are no longer accepted.
- Ski-in, ski-out location on the slopes above Åre Björnen.
- Stunning mountain design hotel, the only one in Scandinavia.
- Niesti restaurant, The Library à la carte restaurant and Fireside lounge and bar.
- Level Spa with infinity pool, indoor and outdoor hot tubs and saunas.
- ski-in, ski-out on the slopes above Åre Björnen
- Copperhill Express drag lift links to the slopes
- 2km/5-minute drive to Åre Björnen
- hotel-run shuttle bus to and from Åre Björnen approx every 20 minutes (does not operate in the evenings)
- 7km/15-minute drive to Åre By
- 4km to Åre chocolate factory
All rooms have a flatscreen TV with UK channels, DVD player, Playstation 3, iPod/music dock, free WiFi, telephone, bathrobes, slippers, hairdryer, safe, minibar and tea and coffee making facilities.
- Twin room - sleeps 1-2: Austrian twin beds, private shower and WC.
- Suite - sleeps 2-5: bedroom with Austrian twin beds, living room with sofa bed (suitable for 1 adult or 2 children), alcove with bunk beds, kitchenette with hobs, microwave, mini fridge/freezer and dishwasher, bathroom with private double shower and WC, and balcony.
- Suite - sleeps 2-6: Double master bedroom, two rooms with bunk beds, living area with sofa bed, kitchen corner, two bathrooms and balcony. Also includes a Playstation 4.
- Niesti restaurant
- The Library restaurant
- Fireside lounge and bar
- live music
- sun terrace
- Level Spa with infinity pool, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, saunas, relaxation areas and spa bar (open 6am - 8pm for over 12s only, under 12s allowed 8-11am and 3-5pm)
- extra charge for private spa with hot tub and sauna
- extra charge for massages and treatments
- games room with pool table and table tennis
- Copper Kids club (during school holidays only)
- DVD and playstation game rentals
- in-house ski shop
- ski room with lockers and heated boot rack
- laundry facilities
- free WiFi throughout
- two lifts to all floors
- 112 rooms
- hot and cold buffet breakfast
- 3-course evening meals with a rotating set menu (no choice of courses)
- optional upgrade to full board
- Swedish Christmas Table served on Christmas Eve and New Year' Eve, consisting of a traditional buffet with smoked salmon, herrings, reindeer, moose, ham and breads, salads, potatoes, a variety of sauces and candy desserts
Good to know
There's no Crystal rep based in Åre, but support is available 24/7 by phone, email or Twitter.
The Copperhill is quite isolated in the evenings, after the shuttle bus stops running, but you can pay for a taxi down to town and back if you want a livelier atmosphere.
Prices & Availability
PP - Price per person based on full occupancy