Nestled on the top of Förberget Mountain, the Copperhill is the jewel in the crown above Åre Björnen. It opened in 2008, is the only mountain design hotel in Scandinavia, and has been named Sweden’s best ski hotel at the World Ski Awards three years in a row.
You’ll see why as soon as you step into the cavernous lobby. Natural materials, warm colours and modern style blend together to create a feeling of luxurious comfort. This theme continues into the 112 rooms, which are named after different metals - choose between a Bronze twin room or a Copper suite. Finishing touches like DVD players, games consoles and bathrobes add an extra layer of luxury to your stay.
Each morning, you’ll be spoilt for choice with a generous breakfast buffet that includes fresh bread, homemade jams and local meats. Superb evening meals are served in the Niesti restaurant, which offers a dishes inspired by ski resorts from around the world, like Aspen, France and Japan.
You could also treat yourself to an à la carte meal in The Library, a beautifully cosy restaurant with stunning mountain views and a Vaajese tasting menu that includes local favourites like reindeer, arctic char and cloudberries.
A visit to the Sami-inspired Level Spa is also a must. Take a dip in the infinity pool, soak in the hot tubs or soothe sore muscles in one of the saunas - there are two clothed saunas in the main spa plus one nude sauna in each changing room.
But possibly the best feature of the Copperhill is its location. It’s got its own drag lift and ski-in, ski-out access via a beautiful green run through the trees. The lift is pretty steep for a beginner though, so you can always utlise the free shuttle bus to get down to Åre Björnen and back. The bus doesn't run in the evenings though, so you can either catch a taxi down to town, or spend your time listening to live music and sipping cocktails next to the huge stone fireplace in the Fireside lounge in the lobby.
Please note: When booking in resort, cash payments are no longer accepted.
- Ski-in, ski-out location on the slopes above Åre Björnen.
- Stunning mountain design hotel, the only one in Scandinavia.
- Niesti restaurant, The Library à la carte restaurant and Fireside lounge and bar.
- Level Spa with infinity pool, indoor and outdoor hot tubs and saunas.
- ski-in, ski-out on the slopes above Åre Björnen
- Copperhill Express drag lift links to the slopes
- 2km/5-minute drive to Åre Björnen
- hotel-run shuttle bus to and from Åre Björnen approx every 20 minutes (does not operate in the evenings)
- 7km/15-minute drive to Åre By
- 4km to Åre chocolate factory
All rooms have a flatscreen TV with UK channels, DVD player, Playstation 3, iPod/music dock, free WiFi, telephone, bathrobes, slippers, hairdryer, safe, minibar and tea and coffee making facilities.
- Twin room - sleeps 1-2: Austrian twin beds, private shower and WC.
- Suite - sleeps 2-5: bedroom with Austrian twin beds, living room with sofa bed (suitable for 1 adult or 2 children), alcove with bunk beds, kitchenette with hobs, microwave, mini fridge/freezer and dishwasher, bathroom with private double shower and WC, and balcony.
- Suite - sleeps 2-6: Double master bedroom, two rooms with bunk beds, living area with sofa bed, kitchen corner, two bathrooms and balcony. Also includes a Playstation 4.
- Niesti restaurant
- The Library restaurant
- Fireside lounge and bar
- live music
- sun terrace
- Level Spa with infinity pool, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, saunas, relaxation areas and spa bar (open 6am - 8pm for over 12s only, under 12s allowed 8-11am and 3-5pm)
- extra charge for private spa with hot tub and sauna
- extra charge for massages and treatments
- games room with pool table and table tennis
- Copper Kids club (during school holidays only)
- DVD and playstation game rentals
- in-house ski shop
- ski room with lockers and heated boot rack
- laundry facilities
- free WiFi throughout
- two lifts to all floors
- 112 rooms
- hot and cold buffet breakfast
- 3-course evening meals with a rotating set menu (no choice of courses)
- optional upgrade to full board
- Swedish Christmas Table served on Christmas Eve and New Year' Eve, consisting of a traditional buffet with smoked salmon, herrings, reindeer, moose, ham and breads, salads, potatoes, a variety of sauces and candy desserts
Good to know
There's no Crystal rep based in Åre, but support is available 24/7 by phone, email or Twitter.
The Copperhill is quite isolated in the evenings, after the shuttle bus stops running, but you can pay for a taxi down to town and back if you want a livelier atmosphere.
Important Covid-19 refund promise
You can amend your holiday for free up to 28 days before your departure date, whatever destination you’ve booked, if you're flying with this operator.
Also, if you're due to go on holiday but have been diagnosed with COVID-19, have symptoms or have been asked to self-isolate, you can submit a medical certificate and amend your booking for free. This operator's normal terms & conditions apply for cancellations. If you wish to cancel your holiday, we advise you to speak to your insurance company.
If there are overseas local restrictions that impact your ability to get on the mountain – like the ski area is closed due to COVID-19 – then we’ll contact you to amend or cancel your holiday for free.
If your holiday has to be cancelled for reasons related to COVID-19, you’ll receive a full cash refund for the amount you paid.
Get peace of mind with our COVID Cover benefits (provided by the Holiday to Home insurance policy with AXA Insurance UK Plc). These include free amends if you contract COVID-19 before you travel and insurance for medical costs if you contract it while you’re away.
- When you go on holiday with us in Winter 2020/21, you’ll automatically be covered for overseas medical assistance if you contract COVID-19. You’ll also be covered for any testing costs and we’ll fly you home for medical treatment if you need it (subject to T&Cs).
- If you’re asked to quarantine while you’re away, we’ll cover you for the extra time you’re there and for a new return flight home.
- You can amend your holiday for free if you contract COVID-19 before your holiday.
- Your Holiday to Home cover from AXA Insurance offers specific protection if your holiday is impacted by COVID-19. You’ll still need to book separate winter sports travel insurance too, to cover all other aspects of your trip (e.g. winter sports activities, cancellation, baggage and medical cover for other conditions or accidents).
- Take a look at the T&Cs. You’ll also find answers to some frequently asked questions about the policy, and the full Holiday to Home insurance policy.
- This operator is doing everything they can to protect you against COVID-19 during your holiday, from deep-cleaning their aircraft to making sure our accommodations and ski partners meet the highest standards of hygiene.
This operator promise they'll only take you on quarantine-free holidays. This means if they know you'll need to self-isolate or quarantine when you arrive at a destination, they won't take you there, and if you need to self-isolate when you return to the UK, you'll have the option to amend or cancel your holiday for free.
Following FCDO advice
If the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice changes before you go or while you’re on holiday, we’ll contact you to discuss the next steps. If it changes to ‘all but essential travel’, you can amend or cancel your holiday for free.
Keeping you informed
We’ll contact you before you go about the current safety regulations in your resort. We’re working closely with our accommodation providers and ski suppliers to implement local rules and keep you safe. As most ski resorts operate in winter only, we can’t confirm any details quite yet.
While you’re away, the resort team will always be on hand to support you – you can get in touch with us 24/7 by phone.
Book with confidence
This operator is part of a group of companies, one of the world’s leading travel groups. All of their package holidays include flights, transfers and accommodation, and are ABTA and ATOL protected.
A copy of the full terms and conditions are available on request.
Prices & Availability
PP - Price per person based on full occupancy