Wilderness Hotel Muotka is a lovingly renovated family-run property set in a secluded snow-laden winter wonderland, 15km from Saariselkä village. Its idyllic location, on the edge of the pristine Urho-Kekkonen National Park, guarantees minimal light pollution and an increased potential for seeing the Northern Lights, simply by stepping outside the Lodge's front door.
The Lodge radiates an atmosphere of warmth and relaxation from the moment you arrive. The reception building has a restaurant with open fireplace, small lounge and bar and we really rate the buffet food here. The Lodge sauna has separate times for men and women, and is also bookable for private use (payable locally). There is also an outdoor fireplace, shelter and Sámi kota hut.
We have included a full range of daytime arctic activities, including carefully selected husky, reindeer and snowmobile safaris. You can also enjoy these special surroundings by snowshoe or cross-country skis on a network of over 300km of prepared trails. In the evenings we've included aurora hunts where Muotka's expert Guides will take you in search of the Northern Lights by minibus, snowmobile or snowmobile-pulled sled.
'Muotka 7 Night Adventure' is the most popular way to book, and is the price shown. You can also book this as part of our 'Muotka 2-Centre Adventure', with the first half of the week being spent in Saariselkä. Read the full itineraries on the links provided.
As well as the activities listed, Christmas Week also includes gingerbread baking, tree decorating and a visit from Santa with a small gift for all the children on Christmas Eve.
New Year Week also includes a bonfire, midnight fireworks and a glass of sparkling wine on New Year's Eve. There are festive dinners on both dates including Lappish specialties.
Special Aurora Cabin upgrade overnight: £99 per adult + £69 per child
The Lodge owners, Jouko and Mari, and their very friendly staff, have years of expertise in arranging holidays in locations that are specifically designed to provide guests with the best possible opportunities for witnessing the Northern Lights.
No. of rooms: 36
No. of floors: 1
The accommodation choices in the Muotka Wilderness lodge include:
- Wilderness Rooms (A3) sleep 1-3 people and is located in the main reception building or in a separate building just a few steps away. All are tastefully decorated in a cosy Nordic style and have shower, WC and hairdryer. Beds can be made up as either a double or twins. Maximum 2 adults and 1 child
- Superior Sauna Suites (B4) sleep 2-4 people and have their own building. Spacious pine-clad one room suites with double bed, private sauna, shower, WC and lounge area. Suites can accommodate 2 extra beds for children
- Panorama Log Cabins (C4) sleep 2-4 people in highly recommended spacious detached log cabins with double bed, private sauna, shower, WC, fireplace, lounge area and panoramic windows. Cabins can accommodate 2 extra beds for children
- Riverside Log Cabins (D4) sleep 4-5 people. These brand new cabins have prime location overlooking the river. These luxurious and spacious cabins are perfect for a bigger group. The first floor has a living and dining room double bedroom and bathroom with a sauna. Then the loft area has 3 single beds and a toilet. This room type is on request only.
- Aurora Cabins sleep 2-4 people in one-room cabins. In a quiet location away from the main buildings these amazing one room cabins can be pre-booked for one night during your stay. All have large panoramic north-facing semi-glass roofs with views of the night sky from your bed, private sauna, shower, WC, fridge, hairdryer, coffee/tea-maker. Some have a sofa which converts to 2 single child beds
Lift accessible: No
Lift serves all floors: No
Access ramp: No
- Public Sauna
Wilderness Hotel Muotka has breakfast, lunch and dinner included in their packages, along with complimentary tea and coffee throughout the day. Breakfast is buffet style with hot and cold options and lunch is either picnic style around an open fire on excursions, or served at the main Lodge. Dinner is a hearty three courses with choices for each course, and waiter served.
Board basis options available
- Full Board
This property caters for the following special dietary requirements
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
Please advise of any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking.
Prices & Availability
PP - Price per person based on full occupancy