The family-run Gartenhotel Daxer has changed a lot since it opened in 1962, but each generation of owners has focused on making sure their customers are always the priority.
It’s been extended several times over the years, to add more rooms and facilities, but you need only look at the chalet-style exterior to see that the Daxer has kept it touch with its traditional roots. The cosy Alpine atmosphere blends with true Austrian hospitality to create a home-from-home feel that keeps people coming back year after year.
Other modern additions to the hotel include the heated indoor pool and the wellness area, which has two Finnish saunas, s herbal sauna, steam room, infrared cabin, relaxation room and fitness room. There’s also a small bar and lounge area, and a play area for kids.
You certainly won’t go hungry at the Daxer. The day starts with a plentiful breakfast buffet, offering everything from eggs and bacon to fruit and cereal. When you get back from skiing, you can help yourself to afternoon snacks, including things like cake and pizza – just save some room for the excellent 4-course dinners. And throughout the day, you can stop for free tea, coffee and soft drinks.
When you do make it out the door, it’s just 3 minutes’ walk to the Schmittenhöhebahn and Sonnenalmbahn cable cars, and the TrassXPress gondola. Zell am See itself is around 25 minutes’ walk downhill or a 5 minutes' taxi ride. Or during the day you can take the local ski bus that operates until 7pm.
- Ski-in, ski-out hotel, just 3 minutes' walk to the Schmittenhöhe lift
- Heated indoor pool and wellness area with two Finnish saunas, a steam room and a relaxation area
Perched deep in the valley, the Daxer is in an ideal location for the slopes. It's just a few minutes' walk to the lifts - including the Fallegglift drag, the Sonnenalmbahn and Schmittenhöhebhan cable cars, and the TrassXpress gondola. You can ski back to the lift stations on Black 13, Black 14 and Blue 5b, or take Red 20 right back to the hotel. You can also take a cruise down Blue 7 to warm up, before hopping on the CityXpress gondola. In terms of other amenities, most of the action is down in the centre of town, so you can either walk or take the ski bus or a taxi to explore.
- Peaceful location above the town
- 3 minutes' walk to the Schmittenhöhe lift
- 3 minutes' walk to the Fallegglift and the nursery slopes
- 25 minutes' walk to the resort centre
- 35-40 minutes' walk back to the hotel
All rooms have a cable TV, safe, hairdryer and free WiFi.
- Twin room - sleeps 2-3 (max 2 adults): Austrian twin beds, single sofa bed when booked for three people, private shower, WC and balcony.
- Superior twin Room - sleeps 2-4 (max 3 adults): Austrian twin beds, single sofa bed, private shower, WC and balcony.
- Deluxe twin Room (new wing) - sleeps 2: Austrian twin beds, double sofa bed, private shower, WC and balcony.
Austrian twin beds
Austrian twin beds are very common in Central Europe. They’re simply one large bed frame containing two single mattresses, both with separate duvets and linen sets, that cannot be separated. Separate twin beds are less common and can often be head to head beds, rather than side by side, if they are available.
- Bar and lounge area (accepts cash only)
- Happy hour three times a week in the umbrella bar (4-5.30pm)
- Indoor pool
- Wellness area with sauna, steam room and relaxation area
- Lift to all floors
- 68 rooms
- Free WiFi throughout
- Small ski room
- Hot and cold buffet breakfast
- Afternoon snack
- 4-course evening meals with a choice of main course and daily salad buffet
- Vegetarian options
- Free soft drink, juices, water, coffee and tea (10am-9pm)
- Happy hour in the umbrella bar, three times a week 4-5.30pm (one drink free)
Please note that safety standards around balconies, railings and public walkways are different in Austria and may be lower or have ornamental features that you wouldn’t see in the UK or Ireland.
For your own safety and that of everyone you’re travelling with, please make sure you take care not to lean on or over any railings. If you have children under 12 years, please make sure they’re supervised and not left alone at any time.
Evolution Ski Pack
Entry level skis/snowboards perfect for those discovering the thrills of skiing on green and blue slopes. Manageable and reliable skis even on hard snow, that help you make progress whilst having fun.
- Ski types: Slopes, Female, Snow blades
- Snowboard types: Multipurpose
- Boots: Good quality shoes for very good comfort
- Maximum equipment age: 2 years
- Package includes: Skis/snowboard, boots and poles
Atomic Nomad [S] Tune Plus
Dynastar Active Easy
Evolution Skis Only
Performance Ski Pack
For all skiers at home on all types of slopes and snow. Comfortable, higher-performance skis/snowboards that guarantee stability and grip even at full speed.
- Ski types: Slips, All mounting, Female
- Snowboard types: All mountain, Freestyle
- Boots: Good quality shoes for a good support
- Maximum equipment age: 2 years
- Package includes: Skis/snowboards, boots and poles
Salomon X-Drive 75 Sti
Head Absolut Joy S
Rossignol Smash 7
Performance Skis Only
Adult Helmet Hire
Child Helmet Hire
Junior Ski Pack (Under 12)
Prices & Availability
PP - Price per person based on full occupancy