Right in the centre of Grindelwald, the hotel's closest ski lift is a five minute walk away or the ski bus stops just outside to take you to whichever lift you like. As with most hotels in Grindelwald, the Spinne has spectacular views of the surrounding mountains, including the dominating Eiger. There's an ice field on the North Face of the Eiger, in fact, that the hotel is named after as it is shaped like a spider.
The hotel is decked out with a modern take on traditional design. They call it Alpine chic, we think that fits; plenty of pale wood, red and blue tones and windows/balconies that make full use of those views. You also have a small spa area with an indoor hot tub, Finish and herbal saunas and even an ice path as well as massages and a hair stylist being available. One of the standout features of the hotel is the sun terrace, again it makes the most of the views and the food is pretty decent too. The hotel lounge has a roaring fire all winter or if you're looking for a more energetic atmosphere you should try the Espresso bar or the Mescalero Discotheque, one of the more popular night spots in Grindelwald.
The Hotel Spinne is in the centre of Grindelwald village and a 5 minute walk to the nearest ski lift (Firstbahn gondola 350m away). Alternatively, the train station to get up into the ski area shared with Wengen is 7 minutes down the road (450m). There is also a bus stop next to the hotel which you can ride free of charge (with your visitors pass) to whichever lift you fancy.
What we like
- Central location with easy access to the Firstbahn gondola and the train station
- Fantastic views of the Eiger and arguably the best sun terrace in the village
- Popular night spots on your doorstep or roaring fires in the lounge
- The spa area is nude, though you can wear a towel
- The local bus is free with your visitor's card
- The Espresso or 'Preso' Bar is a great spot for live music, if that's your thing
All rooms at the Hotel Spinne have a TV, radio, phone, mini bar, hairdryer and safe.
Standard twin rooms have twin beds and there will be either a bath or shower in the bathroom. The rooms are in the main building and overlook the high street.
Approx. 19m2, sleeps max. 3
Twin room with Eiger view
Again in the main building, the rooms have twin beds* and a bathroom with a bath or shower. They also have a balcony or terrace with views of the Eiger.
Approx. 22m2, sleeps max. 3
Again in the main building, the junior suites have a bedroom with twin beds*, a living area and a bathroom with a bath. The balcony has mountain views.
Approx. 35m2, sleeps max. 2 + 2 extra beds
*twin beds can be pushed together to form a double
There are some one off suites and single rooms available as well
- Restaurant Mercato
- Sun terrace
- Espresso Bar
- Mescalero Discotheque
- Finnish sauna
- Alpine herbal sauna
- Whirlpool/hot tub (indoor)
- Relaxation room
- Ice Kneipp path
Bed & breakfast or Half board - Please contact for a quote
Please be advised that safety standards with regards to balconies differ in Switzerland and on occasion, you may be allocated a room whereby the balcony is lower than we would expect in the UK.
For your own safety, please ensure that you take care when on the balcony and do not lean on or over the railings. If you have children below the age of 12 in your party, please ensure that they are supervised and not left unattended at any time.
This is a tailor-made holiday and any prices are intended as a guide only.
Please call us for an accurate costing on 020 8313 3999.
Evolution Ski Pack
Entry level skis/snowboards perfect for those discovering the thrills of skiing on green and blue slopes. Manageable and reliable skis even on hard snow, that help you make progress whilst having fun.
- Ski types: Slopes, Female, Snow blades
- Snowboard types: Multipurpose
- Boots: Good quality shoes for very good comfort
- Maximum equipment age: 2 years
- Package includes: Skis/snowboard, boots and poles
Atomic Nomad [S] Tune Plus
Dynastar Active Easy
Evolution Skis Only
Performance Ski Pack
For all skiers at home on all types of slopes and snow. Comfortable, higher-performance skis/snowboards that guarantee stability and grip even at full speed.
- Ski types: Slips, All mounting, Female
- Snowboard types: All mountain, Freestyle
- Boots: Good quality shoes for a good support
- Maximum equipment age: 2 years
- Package includes: Skis/snowboards, boots and poles
Salomon X-Drive 75 Sti
Head Absolut Joy S
Rossignol Smash 7
Performance Skis Only
Excellence Ski Pack
For the most demanding and experienced skiers. The highest quality skis for every terrain, both on-slope and off.
- Ski types: Racing World Cup, Piste, All mountain, Free ride, Female
- Boots: Hi quality and technical shoes for very good support
- Maximum equipment age: 1 year
- Package includes: Skis, boots and poles
Salomon X–Drive 8.3
Rossignol Experience 84 CA
Atomic Cloud Eleven Arc
Excellence Skis Only
Adult Helmet Hire
Child Helmet Hire
Junior Ski Pack (8 - 11)
Junior Snowboard Pack (8 - 11)
Kids Ski Pack Inc Helmet (3 - 7)
Prices & Availability
PP - Price per person based on full occupancy